These soft -packed are complemented by a crunchy oat and walnut streusel while the heat of cinnamon and nutmeg add a cozy level of spice.
From November/December 2021 issue.
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- ⅔ cup (149 grams) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk, room temperature
- 1¼ cups (305 grams) mashed roasted sweet potatoes, room temperature
- 1 cup (113 grams) finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cinnamon
- Oat-Walnut Streusel (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 9 jumbo muffin pan wells with baking spray with flour, or line 9 wells with jumbo paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) salt, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, ½ cup (110 grams) brown sugar, and eggs. Whisk in oil and milk until well combined. Add sweet potato, and whisk until well combined. Add flour mixture, and fold until combined. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, stir together walnuts, cinnamon, remaining ½ cup (110 grams) brown sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling halfway full (about ¼ cup [70 grams] each). Make a well in centers, and spoon 1½ tablespoons (23 grams) walnut mixture into each well, leaving ⅛-inch border around edges. Divide remaining batter among wells. Sprinkle with Oat-Walnut Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (31 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (20 grams) old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup (28 grams) chopped walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, oats, walnuts, salt, and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until butter is pea-size. Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
To Serve: .